Saturday, August 26, 2006

Psalms 51:1-10 [+/-] show/hide
Psa 51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. 4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. 5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. 6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

David in this pray seeks to be cleansed of his sin. He had very specific sins in mind. These sins were ever before him.

Imagine if you will, one day you come across a man who seems very distraught. You ask him what has afflicted him. To which he says it is his conscience. He justs feels so bad having eaten from the tree. You ask him what tree? He replies the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. He knew he wasn't suppose to eat from it. God told him not to. But he still did, and now he can't find where to receive forgiveness for eating from the tree for his sin is ever before him. Have you ever heard of such a situtation? Seems lunacy to me. This is what leads Calvinist, Roman Catholics, and Christ of Christ followers to paedobaptism. They have a two fold salvation. One in which Adam's sin is put away. The other for one's own personal sins.

Now consider verse 5. He was shapen in iniquity. Not his shape was iniquity. In sin did his mother conceive him. Did his mother have sin/iniquity? Was he shapen in her womb? So there would be a possibility that this means he was shapen in the womb of a mother who had sin. That he took shape in a womb of one with iniquity.
[+/-] show/hide

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

David is not talking about his mother’s sin, he is talking about his sin. At risk of repeating my last comment, the statement is emphasizing his wickedness. He was even formed in iniquity. What would be the reason for pointing out his mother’s iniquity in a prayer of confession for his sin with Bathsheba? And even if he is referring to his mother’s sin, (which I’m not ready to concede) the context would indicate that it has a correlation to his sin.

Sorry, the illustration about the man and the tree conveyed nothing to me.

Sun Aug 27, 05:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Hide comments